We’ve all heard about Romeo and Juliet but how much do you know about William Shakespeare himself? Well did you know….
1. William Shakespeare’s actual birth date is unknown but he was baptised in Stratford Upon Avon on 26th April 1564 by John Shakespeare and Mary Arden.
2. William was the third child of John and Mary and their eldest surviving boy.
3. It is thought that most of Williams family were illiterate, William however attended the local Stratford Grammar school it’s here that he learnt latin and how to read and write.
4. In 1582 when he was just eighteen years old William married his pregnant girlfriend Anne Hathaway. They had a daughter followed two years later by twins, another daughter and a son.
5. Even Shakespeare had to deal with bad review with one theatre critic Robert Greene saying in 1592 “there is an upstart crow, beautified with our feathers…”
6. Outbreaks of the plague closed all London theatres in 1593. Not one to be beaten William started to write poetry, finishing his first batch of sonnets in 1593.
7. Over the years William accumulated quite a lot of land and property owning one hundred and seven acres of farm land in Stratford as well as inheriting his old family home and owning a cottage. In London William bought Blackfriars Gatehouse and was a share holder in the Globe and Blackfriars theatres.
8. Did you know that as well as writing William enjoyed acting performing in many of his own plays.
9. Over the course of his life William managed to write thirty-seven plays and one hundred and fifty-four sonnets!
10. It is not known how but on 23rd April 1616 aged fifty-two William died. He was buried in the Chancel of the Holy Trinity Church two days later.