Did you know…
1. Virginia Woolf was born on 25th January 1882 to Sir Leslie Stephen and Julia Prinsep Duckworth Stephen (née Jackson)
2. Virginia Woolf born Adeline Virginia Stephen, had lots of siblings due to both parents having children from previous marriages.
3. As a child Virginia started a family newspaper to document her families humorous anecdotes she called it, Hyde Park Gate News.
4. Virginia began professionally writing in 1900 one of her first pieces was for the Times Literary supplement.
5. Virginia married Leonard Woolf on 10th August 1912, both were members of the Bloomsbury Group, a circle of intellectual writers and artists.
6. As well as joining the Bloomsbury Group Virginia was in regular contact with suffragette’s such as Mrs Fawcett and Emily Pankhurst to show her support.
7. Her first novel was published in 1915 by her half brothers imprint, Gerald Duckworth & Company Ltd.
8. Together Leonard and Virginia Founded Hogarth Press in 1917. Hogarth Press later published Virginia’s work along with work by T. S Eliot, Laurens van der Post and many others.
9. Virginia spoke regularly at colleges and universities, she also penned letters and essays and self published several short stories.
10. After suffering from mental illness all her life Virginia committed suicide on 28th March 1941 by drowning herself in the River Ouse.