I do not like Green Eggs and Ham….most of us have heard this before, it was written by Dr Seuss. Did you know…
1. Dr Seuss full name was Theodore Seuss Geisel he was born on 02nd March 1904 in Springfield Massachusetts to Theodor Robert Geisel and Henrietta Seuss Geisel.
2. In 1921 Theodore went to Dartmouth College and became the Editor in Chief to the college humor magazine Jack O Lantern.
3. Unfortunately Theodore, known as Ted to his friends was kicked off the magazine when he was caught late night drinking with his pals. He found a way to contribute to the magazine however by using the pseudonym Seuss.
4 He met his future wife Helen Palmer at Oxford University in London, he studied there for a year before deciding to go traveling. Although he didn’t complete his doctorate he added Dr to his pen name Seuss as a nod to his almost achievement and as joke, his father had always wanted him to get a doctorate and become a professor. In his life time though Theodore did actually receive many honorary degrees.
5. During his life he had quite a few pseudonyms including Theo LeSieg (Geisel backwards), Rossetta Stone, Theophrastus Seuss and Dr Seuss.
6. Theodore had lots of success publishing articles and illustrations in magazines and also illustrating adverts.
7. His first book “And To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street,” originally titled “A Story No One Can Beat” was rejected twenty-seven times! It was finally published in 1937.
8. The book Green Eggs And Ham was written after a publisher bet Theodore he couldn’t write a book using just fifty words.
9. In his life time Theodore published more than forty books which have sold more than half a billion copies between them.
10. He died of throat cancer at the age of eighty-seven on 24th September 1991 at his home in La Jolla