Did you know that J. R. R Tolkien…..
1. Was born John Ronald Reuel Tolkien on 03rd January 1892 to Arthur Reuel Tolkien and Mabel Nee Suffield. John Tolkien known as Ronald to his family and close friends was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa and had one brother, Hilary Arthur Reuel.
2. When he was three years old Tolkien, his brother and his mother Mabel came on a holiday to the UK to visit family. Unfortunately Arthur Tolkien his father died in South Africa before he could join them, making Tolkien’s stay in the UK a permanent one.
3. John Tolkien was a close friend of C S Lewis. The pair used to meet up every Tuesday morning with a literary group called Inklings to discuss their work.
4. Much to his family’s dismay Tolkien became a Catholic in 1900. His friend C S Lewis later credited Tolkien for his decision to become a Christian in the 1930s.
5. John Tolkien has become known as the father of modern fantasy literature because of the success of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Their success led to a revival in the genre.
6. Tolkien introduced eight words to the Oxford dictionary including Hobbit and Wrag.
7. Tolkien once said that Sam Gamgee was based on the ordinary soldiers who he had commanded.
8. The idea for the Hobbit’s first line came to Tolkien when he was working at Oxford University. He was marking exam papers when he came across one that was blank the line “In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit,” popped into his head so he quickly jotted it down!
9. John Tolkien loved inventing stories for his children originally writing The Hobbit as a story for his children.
10. In 1972 Tolkien was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen.